Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lawyers Without Borders (LWOB)

I'm here in Nairobi for 8 weeks working with Lawyers Without Borders (LWOB) (see Links) .   LWOB  was founded in 2000 by Christina Storm to create a global association of lawyers committed to pro bono service, both at home and abroad.  I learned about LWOB last summer while attending the NW regional meeting for the American Trial of College Lawyers. 

One of the speakers at the meeting was Ed Turner, Chair of LWOB's Executive Board, who described LWOB, its mission and its current projects.  When I mentioned to Ed that I had 2-3 months of sabbatical in 2011 and thought I might be interested in spending some pro bono time, he suggested I contact Christina.  I did and here I am.

While here in Kenya, I expect to work on logistics for a training program for advocates and judges working with the victims of gender related crimes, such as gender aggression, domestic violence and human trafficking.  My primary goal, though, is to learn more about the NGO's (non-governmental organizations) working here in Kenya and what partnering opportunities might exist.  Themes of particular interest are inheritance and succession rights of women, land ownership issues and trafficking in persons.

Tomorrow I am meeting with Mercy Corps and FIDA Kenya (Federation of Women Lawyers).  More on each of those later.

1 comment: