Monday, April 4, 2011

President Mwai Kibaki Up Close

Last week I was given a free pass to Sunday's final round of the 43rd Kenya Golf Open at the Muthaiga Golf Course, about a 15 minute taxi drive from my hotel.  The ticket was sitting here next to my computer for days, although I never seriously considered going. 

About 1:00 on Sunday, after working for several hours, I took a look at the pass, at the beautiful day outside and decided to go.  It was great.  The golf was not boring at all and the people watching was very interesting.










I parked out at the edge of the 18th green to watch the last 5 groups come through and finish.  The crowd behind me kept getting bigger and bigger.

Then I heard that President Mwai Kibaki was there walking with the leader's threesome and was going to speak and present the trophy at the end of the match to the winner, Michiel Bothma from South Africa.  The ceremony was to be right there where I was sitting.

So I kept scootching forward for the next 45 minutes or so as
things were set up and the red carpet rolled out.  I ended up sitting in the front row with a group of friendly and irreverant local press, about 15 feet from the president.  So I pulled out my Cyber-Shot.


Pres. Mwai Kibaki and Golf Trophy
  
The ride home was a little dicey.  I couldn't reach the driver who had dropped me off.  I called a taxi service, but no one had showed up after 25 minutes and it was getting dark. 

A man came up to me and said he was a taxi and it looked like I needed a ride.  (There are many unmarked cabs in various shape that I assume are just independently owned operations.)   His car was in good shape and he seemed normal enough, so I took a picture of his license number, hopped in and here I am.  We talked politics all the way back.


3 comments:

  1. you are such a brave individual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the pictures so much!!!! I want to hear more about the "irreverent local press".

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful Sunday afternoon. I love unexpected adventures.

    ReplyDelete